In January 1890, Mrs. Elizabeth Harter, daughter of manufacturer and banker Cornelius Aultman, purchased 4.5 acres of land in the southwest end of Canton, Ohio. Elizabeth Harter and stepmother Katherine Barron Aultman deeded this land in 1891 to the Aultman Hospital Association.
Aultman Hospital, Stark County's first hospital, opened its doors on Jan. 17, 1892. Dr. James Fraunfelter performed the first surgery months later, attempting to save the life of Norman L. Deuble, who fell off his high-wheeled bicycle during a race and struck his head on a curbstone.
In 1925, the Harter Building was constructed. It added 100 beds to the 40-room hospital. The McKinley Building opened in 1944 and added another 106 beds. Three years later, another 117 beds were added by the opening of the Harter Annex.
The Obstetrical Anesthesia department opened in 1951 with nurse anesthetists. By 1960, Aultman offered 24-hour availability of epidural pain relief during labor and delivery.
In 1954, the Main Building and the Morrow House were completed. Construction of the Main Building replaced the hospital's original structure and included 139 additional beds.
The 1960s and 1970s
Although closed heart surgery was performed in the 1950s, the hospital's heart program began to develop beginning in 1969 with the addition of the Heart Lab. Additionally in 1969, the seven-story Memorial Building was constructed -- and the Cancer Program began with the arrival of a cobalt radiation therapy unit. These additions were followed by the Aultman Ambulatory Building in 1979.
The 1980s and 1990s
The Emergency/Trauma Center expanded in 1989. The Second Century Project was completed in 1992, followed by the Physician Office Building in 1998.
New services added in the 1980s and 1990s included the Aultman Center for Dialysis, lithotripsy, reproductive endocrinology, Cardiac Surgical Intensive Care, pharmacy robot, laboratory automation project and the helipad.
Recent History - and Looking Ahead
Aultman has expanded into the communities we serve, constructing Aultman North, Aultman West and Aultman Carrollton. In 2003, Aultman relocated its outpatient therapy services to a newly renovated building on Tuscarawas Street, across from the main hospital campus. Aultman also opened Aultman Louisville and completed Aultman Woodlawn.
In September 2003, Aultman broke ground on Aultman 2010, an expansion and modernization project on the main campus of Aultman Hospital. The project will be complete early summer of 2006, and it represents Aultman's continued commitment to meet the changing needs of our patients.
Notice the Masonic oblong square on this Aultman Hospital College.
In January of 1890, Mrs. Elizabeth Harter, daughter of manufacturer and banker Cornelius Aultman, purchased 4.5 acres of land in the southwest end of Canton, Ohio. She and her stepmother, Katherina Barron Aultman, deeded this land in 1891 to the Aultman Hospital Association. On January 17, 1892, Aultman Hospital, Stark County's first hospital opened its doors. Since its beginning Aultman Hospital has been anticipating future community health care needs as they opened the School of Nursing in that same year. Three students were admitted to the Aultman Hospital School of Nursing two-year program. Approval from the State of Ohio was received on January 1, 1916. Since that time, thousands of student nurses have graduated and provided countless years of competent, caring services to clients within our community and throughout the world. The original program led to the development and transformation of the current Aultman College of Nursing and Health Sciences and its first program, a two-year Associate of Science Degree in Nursing. We celebrate our roots and history even as we join with our current students, and future alumni, to soar in search of our shared dreams for a health care profession. Please consider joining us as we prepare more professionals to serve our community for the future health care needs of its people.
For more than 100 years, Aultman Hospital has provided quality health-care services and the latest technology to our community.
The Entered Apprentice is informed that the form of the lodge is that of an “oblong square.” The apparently contradictory words come from an antiquity to which the memory of man runneth not. The “oblong square” is the shape which our ancient progenitors imagined the world to be, probably because the swing of the sun across the sky was longer from east to west than its movement from north to south between winter and summer. Masonically, the words are not contradictory, since the “oblong” is formed of four squares, no less so that one leg of each is longer than the other. The Pythagorean Problem (forty seventh problem of Euclid) is usually, and always more beautifully demonstrated with a square which has one leg longer than the other, than with the familiar Master’s square with legs of equal length. Source: masonicworld.com
To us the Lodge is a symbol of the world, just as the “oblong square” symbolized the shape of the world to our ancient brethren. Ritualistically, a Lodge has the “vast proportions” of extending indefinitely “from East to West” stretching “from earth to heaven,” encompassing both center and circumference. It is universal; not located necessarily in one spot, confined to one room, one Temple, one city. In San Francisco a New York brother is still a member of his Mother Lodge; in China the visitor to Peking Lodge (Massachusetts dispensation) is still a member of his Boston Lodge. Precious the thought to many a wanderer that, wherever he is, there also is a bit of his Mother Lodge. Source: masonicworld.com
The form of a masonic lodge is said to be a parallelogram, or oblong square; its greatest length being from east to west, its breadth from north to south. A square, a circle, a triangle, or any other form but that of an oblong square , would be eminently incorrect and unmasonic, because such a figure would not be an expression of the symbolic idea which is intended to be conveyed. Now, as the world is a globe, or, to speak more accurately, an oblate spheroid, the attempt to make an oblong square its symbol would seem, at first view, to present insuperable difficulties. But the system of masonic symbolism has stood the test of too long an experience to be easily found at fault; and therefore this very symbol furnishes a striking evidence of the antiquity of the order. At the Solomonic era—the era of the building of the temple at Jerusalem—the world, it must be remembered, was supposed to have that very oblong form,66 which has been here symbolized. If, for instance, on a map of the world we should inscribe an oblong figure whose boundary lines would circumscribe and include just that portion which was known to be inhabited in the clays of Solomon, these lines, running a short distance north and south of the Mediterranean Sea, and extending from Spain in the west to Asia Minor in the east, would form an oblong square, including the southern shore of Europe, the northern shore of Africa, and the western district of Asia, the length of the parallelogram being about sixty degrees from east to west, and its breadth being about twenty degrees from north to south. This oblong square, thus enclosing the whole of what was then supposed to be the habitable globe,67 would precisely represent what is symbolically said to be the form of the lodge , while the Pillars of Hercules in the west, on each side of the straits of Gades or Gibraltar, might appropriately be referred to the two pillars that stood at the porch of the temple. Source: altreligion.about.com